Craig – A slight twist on the thread topic.

As we all know settlement patterns heavily influenced regional framing. From what I've seen, that seems to be particularly hyper local there in Wisconsin, at least in Central Wisconsin. When asking how this might be the case, I was told advertisements were placed in Europe in the mid nineteenth century, seeking to encourage emigration to a then largely empty countryside. This seems to have been so effective that towns were peopled almost en masse , with country of origin effecting town settlement in a very different way than is typical for other parts of the country, where such makeup is more commonly driven by employment opportunity. And the country of origin settlement there in Central WI seems to vary in pockets in counties, even from town to town. This so greatly, it influenced even place names, and even carpentry with pockets of such things as styles and methods of logcrafting seeming to vary over short distances, this even goes to timberframing of barns and even carpenters marks. Clearly trained carpenters were among these imigree’s and continued to practice with the methods they brought with them. Even scribe practices seemingly executed out of time, with these methods sometimes found in barn typologies of later and very much American patterns.

Have you ever seen any of the Scribed Lap Joinery barns in the Polish settled towns? I've a friend documenting them and have visited a few tagging along for surveys.

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/