Hi Tim,

I enjoyed reading your blog, I used to plant trees for Mart Resources years ago, so I am familiar with your area, would love to come for a workshop.

I have been interested in building a post and beam cabin for many years, and insulation is what really bothers me. I have a lot in the Gaspé Peninsula of Quebec, and I want to build a cabin with local timer, shingles, and the last thing I want to do is to have ISP trucked 1000 kilometers!

I live in japan, and I have been fascinated by the clay infill buildings I have seen. I use to live in a house that was a timber frame infilled with clay and straw on bamboo lattice. I now live in a modern japanese timber frame that has lime plaster as siding and finish inside the house, and I just love it.

I took a timber framing workshop this summer, and I am planning to build a cabin on my lot. My lot is on the Saint Lawrence River, and it can be wet and stormy, so I would like to to do straw and clay infill, and cedar shingles on the outside.

Do you know what is the insulation property of clay and straw mixed as opposed to straw bale?

The thickness of the walls of straw bales bother me and keeping dampness away, seems to be an issue. Have you build anything with infill of straw and clay?

Thank you,

Serge