I have no doubt that power tools rule the profit oriented world. Everyone has a comfort zone. Why stop at hand held power tools? Go for the big times, CNC machines, full on shop with a 20 man crew, if profit is the reason.

For sure "that" post was pure opinion. With no exaggeration, and into the 1000s of mortices with the same boring machine or two, I can attest it is no hobby. I do enjoy the work. I can almost say the machines have not had to be sent out for maintenance or sharpening and keeps on producing and will into the unseen future. I once had a small, local machine shop work on a gear change on one machine. I also recently dropped one and broke the hand crank, I put off fixing it for a while, then fixed it in less than half an hour. Good as new. I would come near tears if the Mafell should befall the same fate.

As for efficiency and the hand crank machines, there are many things one can practice to enhance its abilities. A foot stool is a simple addition, something to stand on while straddling the timber and repositioning to the next hole. Knowing what bit size/mortice is really needed for the joinery at hand. A machine with the proper gear ratio and a bit with the correct feed screw will make a difficult job, simple. You learn to place your joints in clear wood whenever possible. Frozen wood you predrill pilot holes, 1/8" with a cordless drill, making bit location a given. Know the boundaries, what is acceptable and when you have over bored in a spot. I do most of the grunt work! But not without a little forethought.

One of my most memorable times spent with a Makita was how my lower back felt after just a few mortices, something I don't experience with my hand cranked machine. Mostly contributed to my lack of knowledge of how to properly handle it, I think.

Cleaning out the round holes is another aspect to consider. This can be easily made simple and efficient with the right approach. It is not done solely with a chisel. I have taken the shovel approach, lately. I will leave it at that. I will add I am thinking of adding a long handle to my corner chisel and some foot pegs to stand/jump on......