I work mostly soft woods, pine being the easiest to work. Spruce is one of the toughest, cedar not far behind, larch is hard and pitchy it gums up the saw teeth. All woods have their own characteristics, from smell to workability. All work harder when dry, I work them green.

From what little work I have done with red oak, I would say it is fine to work with hand tools. Mortice size is reduced for the most part to 1-1/2". No question it is harder to work but in comparison to spruce in some part it is easier. Spruce and cedar are similar in that they are like a sponge, your tools edge need to be dropped down to 25 degrees or so. When paring the end grain it has a tendency to give way instead of being shaved, you won't see this in hard woods, unless it is dry. Knots in any wood are a bugger, try to avoid them.

Tool selection is a personal choice, not right or wrong. From my perspective if you start out with hand tools, they will teach you far more than a power tool. If you can work wood with hand tool then move onto power tool you will gain an understanding unattainable with the power tool, giving an advantage in uncounted ways.