Jim,

I'd read a piece in one of the TFG workbooks about the potential for springy floors if all joists are running the same direction (setting up a form of harmonic). I'm hoping that it won't be an issue with the relatively small spans in this barn.

Craig's sleeper layout has gotten me thinking about forms other than joined members.

I'm planning on having the foundation rise 16" above the exterior grade, topped with a layer of PT (under the sill beams). (There will be more height inside the crawlspace.) Sill rot at the entrance is something I'll be giving a good deal of thought to. Any thoughts on options?

Yes, the root cellar will have one wall that won't be earth-insulated. I'm hoping that insulating the interior of that wall (plus the ceiling) will keep things above freezing. I've got to sort out how best to vent the root cellar. Some vegetables want humidity, others don't. I worry about moisture buildup if humidity gets too high. As for venting the rest of the crawlspace, I don't have any planned (except the air that moves up through the wooden floor). Admittedly, moisture control is a topic I'm still trying to get my head around. I've read much of the debate but haven't come to any solid conclusions.

I plan to put in a hatch from the floor down into the crawlspace. There will also be an outside entrance (stairway) to the forebay (shop) area.

Thanks for the feedback.

~Kevin Rose
Northern Vermont