well hello everyone tonight

Good conversation keep it going!

One thing that I wonder about was how far spread the growth of elm is around the globe especially in the scandinavian countries

Hewing Elm--well I can honestly say I have never hewed elm but have used lots of sawn elm lumber and small timbers, like 6 by6's and 8 by 8's--for support posts they can bear quite a load, as well as for joists

I cut down a really large elm in our bushlot it was approaching 48" in diameter--the butt timber cut out---if my memory is correct--36-- 3 by 6's 16 feet long to reinforce the hay mow floor when we began to load it with baled hay

The single butt timber was all the sleigh could handle, we rolled it on with chains, and when it dropped about 6" from the cants to the bunks the sleighs settled right down to the hard earth through the frozen snow, it took quite a pull to get the sleighs up and going, but the team seemed to enjoy the challenge

another thing I remember was when the tree hit the ground one of theside limbs was driven right into the earth through the frozen layer, and it stayed there for quite a number of years

During the seaway construction the area being flooded had to be clear cut of all trees, At Aultsville just west of Cornwall stood one of the largest trees in Eastern Ontario, it was an elm and it was 6 feet in diameter, it stood along the old canal bank. Unfortunately it had to be cut down but a slice from the tree was preserved at UCV, I used to look at it and wonder what things and events the tree had witnessed.

The growth rings dated it to well before the coming of UEL's to the area, and probably witnessed the skirmishes during the years leading up to settlement in this area--a real shame I supose, but the dutch elm disease probably would have done it in anyway

Well got to go

enjoy

NH