Hello everyone tonight

Thanks Don for the clarification on the gutter, and how you are going about its manufacture it is very interesting about removing the growth ring to leave a concave depression for the rain. I do believe that is no doubt the best explanation I have ever heard dealing with that subject~!!

I wonder if any of you guys have ever heard of a gutter hidden in the edge of the roof, At UCV the Robertson house had such a gutter, created out of a full length timber, which was lined with sheet lead.

Replacing the timber was a job handed to me quite a number of moons ago now, and was in conjunction with a roof replacement, the sheet lead run up under the shingles a ways to catch any drips

The timber itself was quite large, and rested on blacksmith made drift pins that were driven into the upper plate of the house.

The timber was massive enough to create the whole cornice , and the facia and other rows of trim were applied right to it, it was impossible to tell that there was a rain gutter from the ground level.

It really was not a good form of construction because any leaks were directed to the interior of the frame,

I noticed that the lead sheets had expanded and contracted ever so slightly, and eventually cracks would appear in places. It looked to me like some caulking had been used over the years to keep it waterproof.

Enjoy

NH