Hello,

I gotta keep switching up to the flat mode on this one. But anyway, That rain gutter you have depicted seems similar in form to the one here at the house though instead of being massive, the trough here is made up of individual planks and moulded lengths forming a cornice, and lined with what they call zinc. The zinc plates run up onto the roofing planks, under the insulation, battens and roof tiles and at the outside curls over the woodwork offering good protection until the zinc is punctured. It should always be free floating, that is not nailed or clamped because it does expand and contract a lot according to temperature and we never use it in lengths over 1100 cm. I have tried showing how it is put together and attatched here.
The supports for the gutters are in fact interesting and varied. My favorite and the method I used in building a workshop, (pictured in the background of the picture), once was just to extend the ceiling beams beyond the outside of the brick walls. The blokgoot or massive wooden gutters simply rested atop these and in fact were so sturdy I could, and would, walk along the gutters. I've also used iron supports newly forged and, when I could find them authentic ones. These having a long enough end to be bricked into the wall with a sort of tail dropping down and arching towards and against the wall for support

There is the one there in front and more in the dark shadow along the side of the house if you look closely and can see them. The other one, of the ones worth mentioning, is sort of in between, being short straight wooden supports usually profiled, extending into the brick just under the wall plate with the gutters usually standing freely atop. Anyway this is what I'm dealing with presently.

Greetings,

Don Wagstaff

Last edited by Cecile en Don Wa; 01/27/12 09:44 PM.