Hello everyone tonight

Don:

I did alot of hewing over the years, probably right up there with the record holder, my preference was to do the rough hewing, or knocking off the large sections working from the bottom or butt end of the log towards the top end, then for the final pass I would work backing up along the same side again from the top to the butt end, it was important to work in this way because of the natural run out of the grain of the tree from top to bottom

This final pass was removing about 1" of material, working right down to the blue chalk line, or "working to line" as the old people would say

I hope this information help you visualize the hewing proceedures as used in this neck of the woods,--others may use alternate ways I can't speak for them, I used a single bevel broad axe about 9" in width on the cutting edge, employing a 3" off set handle--

And further to this subject at UCV in their collection of old tools the many broadaxes that are there are single bevel axes, many still with their original handles, some in good shape and others not, and I might say not one double bevel

Hi Ken:-- great stuff--lovely photos--sure shows how the central hearth really works, providing that mother nature wants to cooperate, must have been a bit tricky in a high wind, but then again I suspect they had plan B and C in these cases

I also think about the teepee with the centre fire and the smoke outlet at the top, bet it worked pretty good--maybe even better than cross ventilation--what do you think Ken--just food for thought

NH