Hello everyone tonight

Hi Ken, Don and others:

Thanks Ken for the explanations in relation to the way early people dealt with heating, cooking, and the resulting extraction of smoke, --one thing that I was wondering, since we are on the subject, is just when fireplaces began to replace the open hearths in earnest, I suppose someone came up with the idea of a dedicated enclosure for the fire and the chimney to accomodate the smoke, it looks like the Pembroke cottage predated this newer type of "appliance". When was it introduced into this cottage? Thanks in advance

HI Don:

I believe that I have described my hewing process as clear as I can, but one thing that I must say is this:

I completely rough hew and finish hewing one side at a time, rolling the flat side up. I then snap a line on this flat surface, which will be the line that represents the second flat surface to hew to, I then stand on this surface to score, and after scoring I stand down on the ground and do my hewing.

Working in this manner creates a nice square corner each time, this will be the norm for the 3 sides, arriving at the fourth side, I hew using the same technique as the other 3 sides, but I hew out at the bottom on the final pass, and then roll the log the fourth time, bringing the bottom corner up, line and hew nice and square the final corner--

This final proceedure would not always be required, depends on how much of a perfectionist you are, or what use the timber is going to be used for

NH