I was wondering how many of you here have a timber framing philosophy. I have been studying timber framing for several years now, and I recently realized that I have developed my own theories about what timber framing means to me and where I think it could go in the future. Many people laugh at me when I mention that I want to purue TF as a career. They think it is outdated and inefficient. I recieve the most resistance from people who don't believe you can build anything without power tools. I feel that a philosophy helps keep me focused in my interest in timber framing, and helps me explain what it is I am trying to do to others. I have actually written a couple of pages on what I feel best describes my philosophy and have been editing it as I become more educated about the craft and realize what my priorities are. I also hope that if I have my ideas clearly outlined that it will help me find someone to work for (which I am hoping will be soon) who has the same timber framing principles. So, am I crazy, or does this make sense?

Dave

Member, Timber Framers Guild