Someone else would have to clarify better, as pine isn't what I know the best. But as far as my experience goes, in the eastern half of the US our pine tends to be divided into 2 categories, white and yellow. Our white is generally Eastern White Pine, or Pinus strobus, the yellow pines include a mixture of pines, such as Longleaf Pine or Pinus palustris, shortleaf pine or Pinus echinata, slash pine or Pinus elliottii, and Loblolly Pine or Pinus taeda.

That said, there are a LOT more varieties of pine to be had, and that's why they are so often classed into broader categories -it's too confusing for that average person to keep track of.

As for the Goosewing,
The classic goosewing axe has a shape somewhat reminiscent of a gosse's wing, hence the English name. You may have to use a little imagination, but I suspect the Americans found it easier to say goosewing than Breitbeil.

I use a left-handed axe. The term really does not have anything to do with which hand you use, but rather to which side of the log you stand.

The notching technique is in fact faster, keep in mind these two are hewing a very large oak log here, with very big notches, and which from the sound of their axes I's guess to be extremely hard.

The disadvantage of this system is that you need 2 people to do it! Also to work the best, the log has to be pretty high up -dictating that about all of the work is done standing beside, rather than on top.

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/