Wished to share with you some of my latest modified traditional Japanese Shou-sugi-ban wood burning methods applied on my upcoming timber frame and log construction union. I am working with rough sawn spruce that i have been harvested by my own 2 years ago in winter time. I have made all the joinery and before putting it all together I am doing following.... As I am, if I can say that - a "surface addict", I wished to make my frame look rustic and more medieval. The question of the surface is the question of the feelings you can get when entering in any house or barn. Impressed by Japanese Shou-sugi-ban I decided to burn all the frame with a gas flame, take the burnt surface between the fibers out with a simple hand wire brush and finally treat it with hot linseed oil. And I got two things - the surface I wished to see and a natural treatment for longevity that fire and linseed oil did. I will be rising up only the sills and posts, then will come hand hewn log infill and only after that I will be putting up girts and rafters. Will post some progress shots here. So here you can see the pictures from my work site with my wood burning experience.

"Burn the frame, before you rise it..."

http://www.flickr.com/photos/neemantools/sets/72157629713464138/

Last edited by nebruks; 05/13/12 09:28 PM.