Hey all! Thanks to all who responded to this post! Very Helpful! I'm still not sure which scarf joint I'll use, but I like the one Jim used in the picture he posted, and I like the halved and bridled one that TIMBEAL spoke of.

So, while I still figure out the specifics of the joinery, I have a question regarding its placement. I understand the forces involved and the need to place the joint in the location of least-stress. I do have this luxury, but now need to know the SPECIFICS. I've attached a little sketch to help with clarity:

[img:center]http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielcha/8261368201/in/photostream/lightbox/[/img]

It seems if the joint is further to the right, there will be more meat where the brace enters the lower timber, but then is the scarf joint itself still located in its ideal location? Or do I move the joint more to the left. That means less meat where the brace enters the lower timber, but does that better position the scarf joint? All of this is generally speaking, of coarse. That is, generally speaking about these SPECIFICS!

Also, I hope to stick two braces in that center post at the same location. Do I need to do anything different here in terms of joinery?

Thanks so much!
Dan F.