hello everyone tonight

In regards to my loss of memory of that tall slender variety of poplar it is called "lombardy poplar"--(my mind just returned)--it is very decorative but not much else--and I agree with you Don at times you do run across native poplar growing in the bush usually in a low area that seems to have a real nice straight lower section, and from these logs one can cut nice lumber, usually 2" planks or thicker, which if handled properly will dry down nicely, and I must add become real hard.--

well anyway the wheelbarrow is starting to take shape now--the fun project has started--when finished I am going to mix up an historic colour, probably a deep red, and stripe it nicely freehand using a small pointed brush--I will try and post a picture,--maybe need the help of my family to do that--

As I am always looking ahead I have a project that needs alittle research maybe one of you guys can help me out--I have inherited a lovely old circular grinding stone, that seems to be true and in really good shape--it is approx 24" in diameter with a 3" thickness, (and I might add heavy).

I want to mount it on a nice moveable horse, and have it powered by a small motor

I have the horse, and the motor, and the old bearings so I have a start, what I really need is the accurate rim speed for sharpening--I am guessing about 100rpm, but that might be fast, has anyone a comment?

This stone is larger (in diameter) than the normal hand powered grinding stones were, and even if you try and understand their rim speed, this larger stone might need to be slowed down

I believe this stone came from a waterpowered grist mill because I know that most of them had a large sized stone that could be powered up from a line shaft as needed for various tasks.

They were powered up using flat belts and wooden drive wheels of varying sizes, and were quite simple to use--the belts usually lay quietly on a idler wheel that did not rotate with the line shaft, and as needed were nudged over onto a driven wheel of the same diameter, along side the idler wheel, and just slipped alittle as it gained momentum

Hope to get some feed back

enjoy

NH

Last edited by northern hewer; 12/18/12 04:17 PM.