hello everyone tonight

Well winter has arrived in vengeance here in this area, the first major snow fall was a dandy, and temperatures dropping into the -25F area last night--it reminded me of times from long ago, but then we were in an old frame house, that shook in the windy gusts,--2 wood stoves trying to keep the temperature as high as possible at least until retiring to the cold bedrooms, where you slid under multiple layers of quilts to try and keep warm--the problem was your nose had to be able to get fresh air.

Getting back to that frame in the previous post, no one seems to be venturing a guess on how it was erected,

The large rafters were hewn tappered and had a large cog fashioned in the foot where it sat on the upper plate. One of the rafters was laying on the ground adjacent to the still standing frame--Another detail that I noticed was that the rafters were secured to the plate using large blacksmith forged spikes, 2 on each foot

The cog was centered on the foot, but did not run right across the full width of the foot--as well it sat in a corresponding notch in the plate

It was as I wandered into the centre of the naked framework that I looked up and saw how unusual the frame seemed to be with the cross ties mortised into the side of the upper plates, and it was at this point that I wondered how it had been raised, and I have been wondering ever since

I wish now that I had returned sooner to the site to examine it more closely, but when I was able to It was down and the site cleaned, what a shame for sure
I am sure the slides I have probably are the only ones in existence, I am sure no one else cared---

Well here we are and due to those few slides we can still talk about and theorize about how the old timers worked

I hope someone responds

enjoy NH