Hello,

There are a couple of gaps that could be filled in as the discussion goes on, though I would plead for making a clear distinction between peg or trunnel or what ever you happen to call it - here it is toognagel, just to throw that in - use and wedge use where a wedge comes into play, if I can say it without repeating myself because I don't see them as interchangeable in any situation.

So, the gaps, one being maybe already implied but not mentioned and that is, I guess it is understood the pegs are made, if properly conceived, from riven material. That was in my mind what might account for the variance Tim was going on about. Maybe not. The other, that for me is also unclear is the role of - now it's difficult because I always forget how it's called in English, here it's called the toogijzer- wait, drift pin, that's it. Using a drift pin in the assembly phase is in part meant to even out alignment where the holes in the mortice sides correlate with the hole in the tenon but that is only one reason behind its use. I think in order to understand draw boring the role of the drift pin has to be understood.

Greetings,

Don Wagstaff