Yes, all my peg stock is rived.

I for sure have not had the chance to work directly with or under a supervisor. As such, may be missing some of the nuances you mention, jay.

I feel as if you are painting me into a corner, jay. From your stance all my peg holes are horribly drawn and all need gouging, my worst nightmare. In my empirical experience I may see one or two holes out of a hundred which need a skinny peg. The vast majority of pegs I use are of a uniform shape, a heavy taper for the first 1/3 of the peg and mostly uniform, the remainder. It is my choice to use the ready peg which fits instead of gouging out the peg hole. In some important cases I have reshaped the hole, even plugging and redrilling.

The majority of my work is square rule and only fitted the day of raising. Of recent I have undertaken some plumb line scribe and fitted the whole frame with "wooden" draw pins. This was a humbling experience and more work.

In some cased the peg is of no consequence. So, just how important is the peg? If you know the limits.... you don't have to stick to the rules all the time, there are some freedoms.

No peg bracing.....
http://forums.tfguild.net/ubbthreads.php...amp;Words=unpeg