Hello Tim,

I do apologize if I came on to strong, that was not my purpose, nor did I intend to place you in any corner, again mea culpa. I just thought that Bob F. would benefit from what I had to share. I am more than confident that your frames are not in anyway at great jeopardy from your current pegging method. You seem to have great passion for the craft and think much about it.

I would like to deal with your comments about braces first. I have known of Rudy for a long time and loved that post you referenced. I was taught, and to this day, do not ever peg braces, it is folly to do so. I will stop at that, because it is one of my "pet peeves," that they are so often pegged, which is pointless considering the amount of wood they don't have on their tenons. I could ramble for a long time on this topic and the different methods of application, design and use of "compression braces."

Quote:
In some cased the peg is of no consequence. So, just how important is the peg? If you know the limits.... you don't have to stick to the rules all the time, there are some freedoms.
I do not really disagree with this statement, I would just amend it slightly and you can tell me what you think...

"In certain cases the peg in a joint is of little consequence, or it's labor is limited. Their importance may only be applicable during certain times, such as during some seismic or climate event. Many constructs of timber wrighting are only guidelines, some are rules, and if you have mastered a segment of the craft they may be bent."

Regards, jay