Hi Tim, et al.,

Boy, your getting into all the fun timber framing methods. I want to share a little something with you about plank wall construction, but first braces.

So everyone understands, I'm in pain at the moment from biting my lip. That way I won't get carried away with this topic, since its off the post's topic. Anyone that I have gotten to abandon pegging braces in their frames, has never gone back, and some will not do jobs if anyone insists they do. Enough said for now.

Why most timber wrights don't do one of these, or try to sell a room of a frame in this style, is beyond me. They are awesome. They have species of this frame type in every wood culture that I have found practiced. My Native American culture has several versions. If you combine this technique with some of the Asian horizontal pass through braces, you achieve the very best in framing: large thermal mass-better than most log homes, a flexible yet resilient frame, wall thicknesses can be doubled for a massive thermal barriers and the pass through braces give you a perfect framing for fenestration. Tim, you will have a fun time with this I'm sure.

Regards, jay

Last edited by Jay White Cloud; 01/24/13 12:55 AM.