Hello Thane,

Quote:
Steel stickers! Not in my shop. A steel sticker is too hard which will deliver more impact.
I'm not sure, but I think you meant "striker," not "sticker," or could you explain "sticker"? The more impact, in the correct hands, with the correct knowledge is the reason hand forged metal "striking" tools have, are and will continue to be the dominate striking tool.

Quote:
Impact is absorbed by the struck face and will cause damage.(hence the mushrooming you mentioned that I don't get)
We try to get "new" folks to use wood/leather and/or some type of striking cap, if they do not have the strength and/or skill to use a heavier tools. Also, I called it "mushroom," for lack of wanting to call it the longer descriptor of "striking surface distortion."

Quote:
The softer impact of a wooden mallet provides sufficient driving force for wood cutting tools and driving pegs without causing damage to them.
I'm not trying to make anyone use tools they do not want to use, but don't also try to make what has been used, what is used and what will probably continue to be used in 60% to 70% of the place in the world that have a wood culture, wrong. It isn't, it is a manner of skill, training and normative culture. Yes your wooden mallet does provide sufficient force to work, but it does not proved efficient force to the work. That is the reason, metal/stone strikers came to be. It does not make what you are doing incorrect, nor what I do either.

Many of my tools are over a hundred years old, (most of them before someone stole them,) and my chisels, (many with original handles,) are not damaged; not that it would be a concern, since you should have the skill to replace them without much effort. Also note, that since a 90 year old Amish Barn Wright taught and gave me my hundred year old mallet, I think he might have been a little wiser than either you or I.

Quote:
I don't care what the Japanese or anyone else did a 100 years ago, that doesn't make it right.
You are correct it doesn't make them right...but it doesn't make them wrong either. Considering that Metallurgist and Wood Working Academics are still trying to unravel the mysteries, and emulate techniques that these Master Crafts people had done a thousand years ago, with out modern technology, should be a little humbling for you and anyone trying to practice this craft. I know I have been trying humbly for 40 years, and when I am next to a "national treasure," (as they are designated,) humble is all there is to be. Diaku, or similar Craftsperson, from the Middle East through out Asia and my own Amish Barn Wright's that tried to squeeze as much as they could into my head, I try to listen...they all use metal strikers most of the time, so according to your post, they are all wrong?

Respectfully, jay

Last edited by Jay White Cloud; 01/25/13 06:28 PM.