Hi Don,

Quote:
you can do better than this
Not really.

I can do many different hewing styles, and know/have used many of the different tools, from axes to Japanese "chouna," but I'm betting you have more experience behind a family of regionally significant types.

When I teach students we cover brief histories, I answer their questions the best I can, but when it comes to how to technique, method and posture, I tell them what I was taught.

"ask the tool," it will teach you more than me.

I weight almost 90 k (200 lb) and stand 1930 mm (6'4") with boots on, so the way I would use a tool is completely different than the way a much smaller person, with less strength would or could, safely. Some of my stone carving hammers can actually cause bones to break, just because a students arms aren't conditioned to there repeated use. Hewing tools can often be the same way.

The times I used a "mortise ax," was pretty strait forward in application. Stay inside the lines and "chop." I found in time I could do it quicker with my large carving gouges as quick or quicker, than with the ax.

So many of these tools are used in different fashions, depending on the linage and mentorship history. For example, I almost always use a draw knife with the "bevel side down," (except for some fine work,) which is the way I was taught and have found in text as well, while most folks learn to use them "bevel side up."

Regards, jay

Last edited by Jay White Cloud; 02/11/13 05:50 PM.