Hi Chris,

What a beautiful structure. This is classic Cajun/Creole Folk architecture, and by no means is this just "the farm method," it would not have lasted 200 years if that was the case. Those log walls and hipped roof are the skill of a master barn wright. They didn't guess at much of anything. They had very clear empirical knowledge and centuries of oral timber wrighting tradition behind them.

Unfortunately today, we have a "bottle neck," in these "folk traditions." There just aren't many of us left around that know, and understanding these building styles, nor methodologies. Plenty are starting to learn again, but there is about a generations worth of maturing before many of them could come to a job like that, recognize what they are looking at, it's archetype forms, and restore it traditionally.

Quote:
Now that it is used as part of a historical landmark that is visited by the general public, I am guessing that it will need to meet at least some (if not all) of the current codes.
I'm not sure that is the case, Chris. If this is an historical landmark and used for historical interpretive work, it would not necessarily be true. It may, in its current condition, need to be cordoned off from direct public access, but there are local and national grants for historical sites that have clear mandates on mode and methodology for restoration. As I had mentioned before, each area is different. They may have to apply for a variance, and/or special consideration.

I also don't see much building that would not be considered "original work.” The bracing that is supporting the long eve is standard practice in that form of barn. It is representative of the vernacular, indigenous building methods of the Choctaw and Seminole "chickee," architecture, which did influence the Cajun and Creole Gulf Coast building modalities.

I do have some question about the hipped roof, does in have a flat section on top? I would love some pictures from that perspective and the inside of the frame as well, if that were manageable. Do you know if the building has ever been photo documented and architectural renditions done? This would be a great TTRAG project.

Quote:
The owners have hired us to advise in the repair and restoration which makes us liable should anything fail.
Are you a timber frame PE firm or historical restoration firm? Could you share what some of the project plans are for the structure. If this building is going to be altered, are there plans to have an historical report completed before the structure original designs are changed.

Quote:
The loads used from today's codes have built in safety factors and can be quite conservative at times which is why I am wondering if there any other factors involved for these kinds of situations.
That is very wise of you. This introspective pause by folks like you have saved many structures like this from being unduly harmed and changed forever, thus loosing one more piece of the puzzle, never to be found.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this.

Regards,

jay