Hello Mo,

If you don't mind me sharing, I might be able to speak to some of your observations and Chris can correct me or add to them.

Quote:
Is that hat original? Those roof overhang supports appear to be near 15 deg. I am guessing they are bearing on the timber and then through to some sort of ceiling/ floor joist?
Hipped roofs are common in both folk styles of the Native American culture of the region and the French. The supports you noted are in compression only in this case, and do not pass through the log wall. In very rare forms there is a "corbels," or "stitch beam," configuration that could support them.

Quote:
So those posts underneath the overhang were all added at some point afterwards original construction? I couldn't imagine that overhang working without some sort of plumb support.
I would say the corner supports are added later. It is more often the case that there are never any posts and only perhaps the bracing as you see it. If the frame work is done correctly, this roof style becomes a "hung roof," very similar in function to the "tipping rafters," of a Dutch Barn. What does often occur during the life of the structure, is a major wind event will take place and the original compression braces dislodged and not restored properly, which intern can cause further failures.

Quote:
As for the case of adding more eave support through posts. Sometimes a good approach will be to make it obvious that the additions were not original so as there is no confusion that their was a later necessary addition.
That is very smart. In worse case scenarios, when you can't get the work done to historical standard, your suggested solution is the best. It preserves the original structure from further degradation.

Quote:
It appears to me that if you can withstand the gravity loads at the corners (which appears to be working), you might have to deal with the wind loads. A couple more posts along the eave with proper anchoring might meet that.
If done well and to original standards that is not necessary. There are cases where a museum will want to preserve even the original materials so you can install hidden cable of steel or Kevlar/Spectra that will take the loads but not be visible, or barely so.

I would note that the very hip/gabled roofs and light timber frame work of a "Chickee," is often the only thing left standing after a Hurricane. I have seen subdivisions built to Southern Florida where all the "new code," stick frames are flatted to the ground, and the only thing left standing are the "Chickee," pool pavilions in the back yard. It speaks volumes to the strength of traditional architecture and what modern man does't know, but thinks he does.

Quote:
By the way it looks like some strapping was added along the kingstuds adjacent to each door way.
I'm not sure of what you reference? I do see iron strapping, that could be original, that holds the sill beam to the brick foundation. Those are found on either side of the door.

Regards,

jay

Last edited by Jay White Cloud; 02/13/13 10:27 PM.