Mo, I use common graduated tapes, that I mark up with colored sharpies, different colors code info, and act as a highlight to (not an over write of) the relevant graduated dimension. Different tapes for posts, plates and sills, and ties. So on a post you will have transverse and longitudinal members different colors. Anyhow a number of tapes will be used in a frame but cleaned up with solvent after the frame is complete. I call this a shoebox template method. A friend of mine 20 years ago used steel banding strap but it was rather untidy method of templating.

The marking gauges are simple plywood tee squares that are glued and screwed together. The blade of the tee has hardened screws set into the blade at appropriate dimensions. Screw tips can be filed sharp and dimensions can be tweaked with the file. The advantage is mortise and matching tenons are marked with the same gauge and are buildings quantity of gains are marked with the same gauge and the gauge records all dimensions. I am heavy down the square rule path. Anyhow I get by with three or four gauges and a screwdriver.

Sorry I don't have photos but this is dirt simple