Quote:
I also have dirt smug, tire tracks, foot prints, mud, blood and things I can't explain on some finished frames.
I love this stuff... whistle We managed once to have a perfect set of kitty tracks that looked like they had stepped in the ink pot, going down the side of a main beam. When every thing got clean up and oiled we left them...it was beautiful, and speaks to the reality of a hand cut frame.

I use a cank hook for turning also, if it is one of those planed and highly finished frames, I will use a pad or beam wrench. Picaroons are, as stated before for milling and logging, they aren't a timber framing tool in general and are for dragging and sorting a lot of stock as it is coming off a mill. Wood grading is where I use it the most or sorting firewood and barn boards.

Quote:
Maybe it's time for a shift then. Personally, any evidence of honest and true work left behind from the process doesn't bother me at all.
If I'm doing a historical project, such as an old barn, mill or ware house, these "turning and lifting scares" are more than appropriate. If I am doing a vintage japanese farm house they are not. The Asians still routinely (especially in Japanese,) warp their timber is paper, just to protect the patina. The Koreans will go as far as gluing the paper to the framing members.

On many modern frames, protecting this patina is also important for the style of frame being produce.

Regards,

jay