Hello,

Picaroons, in this area, are a more varied implement than they are outside the European mainland I guess. Here there are about a hundred different versions, (I just write a hundred for the sake of imagery, not to stake a claim) of all sizes, forms and material. Still, for whatever it is worth, picaroons are not typical for timber framing, but then timber framing is a construct that has different meanings from place to place. For example here it does not exist. There is just not enough call for it as an independent trade and someone doing only timber framing work would no doubt go hungry I'm afraid.

But anyway, a part of timber framing is converting logs to timbers and some people do it with their axes and this would provide an excellent place for the picaroon, (I wish I had had mine the last time I was a hewing). Even in other situations many uses are evident in a timber framing context and a sharp picaroon with the right geometry is handy in moving around timbers of many sizes, even grabbing them from the end grain or inside a mortice if you choose. Still, such marks on even a prominent surface, no matter what the building is, should not be a problem - even the Shintos recognize and celebrate imperfection - with a recognition that there is a division between the honest consequences as a result of the process and a contrived effect.

I opened a box of clay tiles once and there was a series of cat paw imprints where a cat had walked across the wet clay, and felt lucky that I'd gotten that box. Also here, in the cement floor in what used to be the attached stall part at the back of the house, I can trace where a cat walked maybe a hundred years back.

Greetings,

Don Wagstaff