Mike, I have a wholly different take away from the photos, more are needed. I think this was a plain building renovated to fancy. The interior rafters with sheathing in place is the tip off, in some manner, the interior rafters have a role in supporting the roof system without any ordinary bracing at the rafter feet. So if indeed, the interior rafters impart steady static thrust load to the plate, the queen post truss configuration makes sense and will hold together, as it must have. That style of truss rod construction was championed by
Trautwine in his engineering handbook. Trautwine wanted to rename the queen post truss to a queen rod truss, basically stating that since the term post implies compressive loading, rod is the more suitable term since the qp is in tension.

As far as I can see, (more photos) this building seems to lack balloon frame and timber frame detail, so I feel that the building technique is platform framing without the succession of floor levels. What I can see gives the feel of a fancy carriage house not a barn.

Last edited by Roger Nair; 10/01/13 05:03 PM.