Hi folks!

I’m a long time Lurker, been reading these forums almost every day. I’m not a timber framer (really interested in it though), so there’s really not much I can contribute, but I sure have learned a lot!

I’m wondering if any of you have ever supported wide overhanging hips on the outside of the building? I’ve been messing around designing roofs with wide overhangs, in this case 4’.

I’ve run the rafter ties under the beams and out to the common rafters which seems like it’ll give me adequate support, but the hips are left unsupported.

My solution are these double 2x6 knee braces that butt into the posts on the corner, and lap each side of the hip. Seems like it would be pretty easy to cut and install, but the weak point would be the connection (TimberLok lags) where they butt into the posts. Plus, they really don’t look all that nice.

Do any of you have a better solution?? I suppose I could use 4x stock for the hips, but these rafters are curved, and cutting thru 4x on a curve would be pretty difficult.