Hello LbD,

Quote:
Any opinions on Ponderosa for TF construction?

Good wood for timber framing but unless you have experience going from tree to timber frame, I would get some advice from a local sawyer/forester to assess the trees for you, as you learn this craft. It isn't as easy as just cutting a tree down and making a timber out of it.

Quote:
And forgive my ignorance, I have been watching too many You-Tube Videos...are Box Heart timbers suitable for the entire frame?

Take what you see on "boob tub" with a grain of salt. There is as much bad info on there as good.

This question ties into the above answer, box heart or free of heart all depends on the application of the given timber and the style of timber framing you are working in.

You will have to get deeper into this project and submit drawings and photos to get further (or more detailed) assistance. If you can find a local Timberwright, and tell them what you are doing, if they are of quality and honor to the craft they will talk with you about the project, and maybe even more. I have two frames in my area right now being done like yours, and we have no issue watching over someone learning the craft...so ask for some local help, and or keep checking in here with the TFG group.

Regards,

j