Hi Ken,

Thanks again for great photos and this conversation.

You wrote: "This is a very archaic feature generally found only in timber-frames built within a 1200 - 1300 date range."

I would only validate that as perhaps as it may apply to certain timber frames from the U.K. as "dragon" beams have been used extensively for over a thousand years by other wood timber cultures (still are extensively in some) and I believe probably the first to be in ships in Europe and with the Swiss for the first in timber architecture of Europe, David B, could confirm that I am sure.

I also have the same question as David B, on the facet of "dislike for empty frames." I need clarification, as barns are "empty frames" that are some of the most enduring of history? As are many temples in Asia. Did I miss your point on that one?

@ Tim B.

Thank you for using that reference Tim B. about the "teasel tenon," and I agree from that account it would be such, but I challenged that use with several folks on its publishing, and many including Ed (levin) agreed with my confusion.. However, from most other text I have read, and examples I have seen, and all other aspects that I know of from variable sources from central and eastern Europe to Japan, a "teazel tenon," to be such, must pass through more than one member. For now I leave it as a mystery of "British" semantics.

I also did not mean for "novice" to be take to fare out of context or necessarily demeaning, just as, "one not familiar with proper timber frame restoration modalities." I would see such metal as an example of that, and in some times and places it being an asserted and keen effort to conserve what is there until a better solution or full restoration could be addressed.

Regards,

j