hello everyone tonight

Well I have decided to continue the "Hewing Set up" thread here where I usually discuss these things and especially those that deal with Hewing in general

Previous the discussion centred around the site and supporting beams that is required to hew timbers that might weigh upwards of 2000 lbs or more depending on the specie of tree

I suggest preparing for timbers in excess of 45 feet in length as well as shorter ones, like those used in the vertical wall framing, but that is the way I see it, from my experience

The lower sill plates even in a modest sized barn will be quite large and would be upwards of 40 inches in diameter on the butt ends, and would be the first ones prepared so that the framers could proceed with their work as others are being prepared

After the first sill timber is brought to the hewing site, it is rolled onto the previously prepared hewing bed, so that the natural curve is in the direction of the side being hewn first, and the whole log positioned so that it is close to the ends of the hewing bed supports--(for those that missed my explanation of the construction of the hewing bed, I use 6 by 6 timbers partially imbedded in firmly compacted soil).

So now we have the timber positioned it needs to be firmly held in place and for this I use 36 inch timber dogs which are heated and turned at their ends and pointed nicely, for their manufacture I suggest 3\4" rod stock either round or square will suffice quite nicely

Now I am suggesting our first timber is a 38 foot Hemlock, and to secure it well at least 3 timber dogs are needed. hammered well in on the opposite side to the one being hewn

so if any questions are in order to clarify any of these steps please feel free to do so now before we move on

enjoy

NH