I would have to try a longer, heavier plane to give an opinion. As I said I work soft woods for the most part. I do like my Stanley Jack plane. I like how light it is, not sure I would like a longer heavier plane.

One point to consider with band sawn timber, it may have a slight wave to it, it will show mostly where the grain changes and the saw goes from ripping to cross cutting, to some degree. Even the best tuned saws will have some. To get to the low spot you will have to remove the high spots to get to the low spots. If you plane as Jay suggest, 90 degrees across you may deal with this that way. Any angle less you will encounter the slight wave.

Most of my surface planing is going all crazy, different direction depending on how the grain lays. Big old 3" pine knots I use my spoke shave and shave into the knot in an attempt to avoid tear out. The scrub will rip chunks out if it is pushed the wrong way. I would be cautious using the scrub. From my understanding it is the old world thickness planer. It has its place and I would not want to work for long with out it.