From my point of view, I do not see advantage in using wider, longer and heavier planes designed as try planes for roughing and stock prep. The plane for heavy removal is light and narrow, a scrub plane 1 1/2 inch blade maybe 3 pounds in iron and lighter yet with a wooden ECE or Ulmia scrub. Compare with blades 2 3/8 to 2 5/8 at 8 to 10 pounds and bodies 22 in. to 25 in. for #7 or #8. Stroke length is side entry to exit or in otherwords the same but the mechanics of the stroke is different due to tote to knob distance. So I will state a more compact stroke with a lighter tool wins the day. I think planing is like any other repetitive task, whether it's swinging a hammer, pedaling a bike (I love the right gear) or pushing a plane, the effort is wearing. The tool is best balanced to the task.

A flat stroke is delivered with proper bench height.

As to, "small folk gravitate toward long stroke planes as the plane does most of the work and your arms less", the plane does no work in any way at all.

My carpentry experience is very diverse, full time, year round over 45 years. I have not had clients that would pay for a white oak hand planed frame but I believe I have a balanced perspective on tool usage backed by experience.