Exactly Mike!, that is the way we did it just about two years ago on a solid white oak (massive) arbor for a private estate outdoor grill and fireplace. We went through sever permutation before we landed on one that would give the traditional finish that we could do for the price of the project and one that the client also liked. It was bandmilled just like Ron's project and we did across the grain @ 50° scrub and then almost with the grain with jack and/or jointer which offered a nice but unusual affect of almost looking like a "gouge" or "chona" finish.

Hi Tim,

Great question!

You would think that China, Korea, and Japan would have very similar styles (and in many ways they do) but I would say much more is different than the same. Most of China and Korea plane like we do by pushing (not a hard fast rule as some do both), while Japan pulles many of there tools including gouges and chisels at times.

They do go across the grain to "rough in" and then with the grain to flatten and smooth. I still have not seen outside of Japan and Asia, and "wood culture" that even comes close to the art and finesse of planing that you find in Asia (particularly Japan.) They even have clubs and competitions that focus on nothing but planes and planning, with shavings you measure in microns are several meters long.

There are many subtle difference there in the timber crafts as well that I still use. One basic but unusual one is "killing wood," which is a form of "chamfering." So instead of using a small block plane, you take you metal chisel hammer (the rounded end not the flat) and smash the fibers of the tenons and its edges (especially if you are not getting an easy fit during raising. On a timber frame or furniture, you can take a "too" tight tenon to mortise (hozo-ana) and "kill the wood" then the tenon slides in easily, but within a short time the fibers expand (often larger than they had been) and the joint does not come apart easily (sometimes not at all which is very similar to a "hell joint.")

Regards,

j