Gabel is perfectly right and frankly I winced when you asked him to provide you with the hardware. First of all there are all the potential liability issues, but you should also consider that all of this odds and ends stuff has to be found in these huge hardware catalogs, ordered, inventoried, lost, found, lost again. Its not much different than the local guy that rolls up in his pickup and wants to buy some timbers. Yeah we do it for good community relations, but then you have to reorder, chances are the next week you'll need one of those sticks, and its very inefficient to buy timbers a few at a time you really want to buy trailer loads....

The stick framing market is big enough that manufacturers create load tables, and fastening schedules and so on. Timber Frames are all unique, so the joints are loaded differently every time based on frame design, use, location, and other influences. Like Gabel I have lengths of all-thread in various diameters, nuts, washers and other hardware kicking around for these various conditions, but I hire an engineer to help me spec the material and details. There are lots of variables involved in timber frame engineering, we might be familiar with most of them but you don't know what you don't know, what is a moment connection, unbalanced load condition, do I get a reduction for a steeper roof pitch, and so on. Hire a Specialty Engineer from the TFEC (see Mike's link above), don't assume just any civil or structural engineer can do this. While you might be right, they'll probably be cracking open some old college textbooks and relearning something they haven't done in years, but keep in mind all of these guys charge by the hour.