Hi TMC,

I almost answered you in the beginning, but Gabel beat me to it, and then continued to give almost verbatim info that I (and 98% of all professional Timberwrights would have provided.) I routinely, scribe fit round and square posts to all shapes and sizes of boulder, rock and other masonry plinth. The modalities of such such meetings of timber to foundation, and their "moment connections," both ancient, contemporary and amalgamated are vast.

Off the shelf...well that is not what most of us do. Each job, even though it may be in the same area, on similar foundation, has its own individual considerations, from bearing soil types, to aesthetic constraints.

The oldest frames in the world are not tied to there foundations at all; haven't been from 500 to 2000 years ago...they just "kinda" sit there. Many ancient forms do have "drift pins" in bronze or copper. Many of these are subjected to Tsunami and other tectonic events way beyond the norm, (including a couple of nuclear blasts that a few decide to share with the world...) So why do we use the many types we now do? That is a long and complicated story, yet in many modern timber frames...it does make sense. The main reason being our frames are much lighter.

So, I suggest that perhaps you contact Simpson, as that is the closest you are going to get to "off the shelf." Or pay the appropriate nominal fee to a PE with TF experience to spec a bracket that someone local to you can weld up. OR, most simple and practical...if you frame actually needs to be tied to its foundation, is follow Gabel's first description...Its really a good one. Let us all know how things turn out and post some pictures for us.

Regards,

j

Last edited by Jay White Cloud; 02/28/14 12:56 PM.