As I've studied this frame, there are a few more things to note.

First of all, observe the reductions cut on the ends of timbers, and note that they are centered and not pushed to one edge. This reflects the use of a center line layout technique, while still showing a square rule approach to have been used (this being made maybe in the 1850's or post civil war)

Second, there are only 4 notable differences I can observe between this and a later northwestern Swiss frame (lower Emmental, Berner Seeland, Basel, Solothurn). THese are: Rough hewn timbers, not timber that have been planed smooth. The second relates, and is the cause for the first: lack of wood plank or stone infill and exposed framing on original structure, instead using nailed on siding and plastered interiors. The third is the roof structure, which seems to have originally been a simple standing truss (but, this technique had also caught on in Switzerland at that time, so this point really is trivial) and last, the lack of fully framed window opening complete with window ledges framed into the walls, but this, again, relates to the concealed framing.

The layout method used can really be interpreted as a version of square rule, or it could also be interpreted as a simplification of the Swiss equivalent. I'd like to hear from some of you, do you observe the use of center line rule like this in New England and other parts of the country?

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/