I just wanted to say hello. I really love the craftsmanship of old log cabins and timber frames and is my dream to own a timber framed home. My wife and I recently bought our second home on 2.66 acres with a very nice basement for a song because it is a manufactured home. That's fine with me I car about the dirt and they very nice basement. The house is just to keep my family dry and warm for a few years until we can build what we want. I dont know that I would tackle building an entire house on my own just yet (or ever really) bet a shed perhaps and eventually a workshop/man cave/gun room/machine shop.

What I do not have is a selection of large trees to have milled into timbers (or a mill for that matter). any timber framing tools.

where do you obtain your timbers from if you do not have access to your own trees. I was thinking of starting really small and maybe building a green house or perhaps garden tool shed. There is a guy on youtube who goes by wranglerstar who has a great web series on timber framing I have been watching.

unfortunately my step dad passed recently and I used a year and a half worth of saved vacation to deal with his estate. So I wont be able to make any timber frame events this year but that seems to be an obvious first step.

Last edited by Joseph_dandrea; 08/02/14 04:03 AM.