I am curious if there are any convenient utilities or existing shortcuts within sketchup for creating log joints. If not, how might one create such tools (that is, how do you make utilities for this program, I know some about computer programming and such so could figure it out if I knew where to start)

specifically, I am looking for a convenient way to make corner joints. My joints are lapped and passed corners, which by themselves would be simple, except these include a number of compound faces in order to lock the joint against twisting and better seal it to the weather.
What would be convenient would be if I could create a utility that checked the intersections at the corners between two timbers and automatically cut them to mate to each other. I have an idea of how the algorithm might work but the question is whether this is possible within this particular program.

In most applications I do not bother to create the joints, but just run the timbers through each other. This is because most models for log building are just illustrative. It's not practical to rely on sketchup to map the joints for this, since each one must be unique to its situation in the real world. But for making models illustrating methods it is important to have the joints actually there.
Even in timber framing applications, I do not use square rule and thus find the tedious mapping of real joints and the creation of shop drawings for my timbers to be of little benefit.
I have tried to create a standard joint component that I can impose onto the ends of my timbers and adjust to the proper size for that situation, but for some reason the program distorts my model a good part of the time. I am not sure whether this is the fault of the program itself or if it lies in the 'TF Create Joint' feature. I am aware this feature is designed for making tenons, so it is possible it has some difficulty working with this complex joint shape.

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/