Hi Brent,

OPC (ordinary portland cement) and the industries behind it are the primary challenge in my view. Since about 1880, when the more "energy intensive" methods...(read mass production for profit)...that moved away from "natural cements" like Rosendale when issues really began. The Brooklyn Bridge...still going strong...is stone and natural cements and lime mortars...Note, bridges a fraction its age are falling apart and being replace with...you guessed it...more of the same nasty OPC...Talk about a scam and money racket! I can't wait for Limecretes, Natural Cements and Geopolymers (Roman Cement) to start taking hold in this market...IF...the OPC Lobbyist and Industry actually let that happen...

As for Dovetail joints, the only one I have ever seen that function as intended and endure are those I have seen in Asian frames...particularly Japanese modalities. The common aspect of them...they are smaller...always hidden...and usually very deep and working in concert with other tying members in close proximity.

As for most I see in contemporary work...there is always a better joint to use...usually stronger and almost always as easy or easier to cut...

As Tim pointed out..."it gets hidden"...so why bother with a less strong and more difficult joint to facilitate?

Regards,

j