hello everyone tonight

thanks Dave for coming on board

that is very interesting indeed, in all my years I have never heard of elm being used for a handle, but then again one thing is certain elm is mighty strong, especially a tree that has grown in the open--just try and split it--the grain runs in all directions--my father cautioned me to not use elm for handles because it has a tendency to move around, that is probably why I never used elm my self

Elm has many good qualities it makes a very strong joist where strength is required over a large span, you can't beat it for reaches in sleighs--especially rock elm--our sleighs had rock elm reaches that stretched between the bunks close to their ends --they were about 2.5" in diameter, and their main purpose was for support for the sleepers to roll up large logs on the bunks from the skid ways--you can imagine pulling the sleighs alongside the skidway--a place you drew the logs out of the bush and readied them for movement to the sawmill or a collection area closer to a road

elm also bends good without fibre separation--my father made up some large circular cement forms, lacking cables as a holding medium around the outside of the forms he took elm plank and sawed of 1/2" strips which he wrapped around the form tacking them as he went along building up a 2" thickness, worked well--the forms were around here for years, and were used over and over to make large round cement water tanks for livestock, many people came and borrowed them

thanks again Dave for come in for a chat

maybe someone from another area of the world might give their take on handles and what they used

NH