Hi Snickare,

I have been "pulled in" on project similar to this...I do not promote or encourage such designs.

First I should validate that I am a staunch "traditionalist" and avid natural building enthusiast. I don't believe in "airtight" architecture (accept in spacecraft and submarines) and only promote permeable "draft proof" methods of building...in other words...NO HOUSE WRAPS, condensing surfaces and/or elements that will block moisture from freely escaping the interstitial zones of a buildings thermal diaphragms.

I also promote and design architecture under the principles of "disentanglement." We still have a rabid normative culture in the building trades of "not my problem" and "get it done fast...while making as much money as possible." Both of these "psychologies" inundated the building industries and its facilitators. Structures are designed with too many "reinvented wheels," and "tunnel vision."

The structure in the video may seem applicable in "concept," however...

Can moisture actually escape the walls effectively without being trapped or condensed at time of the year promoting fungal and mold activity?

How easy will it be to run mechanical, electrical, HVAC element and related necessities?

How will the architecture endure over time?

How will future owners upgrade, augment, or alter any of the "systems" without tearing through the 2x material or an outer wall insulation system and its siding?

The architectural elements of the timber frame in the video are the complete opposite of "disentanglement" principles. There is no "cold roof-rain screen" elements. No mention of how electrical/mechanical will be address without "tear out, cut/drill through" of previous work, as well as clear indications that this building will probably require "air to air heat/ventilation" mechanicals (ironlung) to make the system work...Then the question is for how long, at what cost over all without maintenance, and other issues...

I see this type of "wrapping" too often and find it "narrow in view" of a much bigger and longer picture in good design and building practice. It often comes with comments like..."well we can make it work this way..." That is great, but I don't what to "make" my designs work...they simply need to work with as little effort as possible and the fewest moving parts possible. What parts there are need to be easily accessible when (not if) an upgrade, augmentation or repare needs to be facilitated. This may cost more in the beginning (not necessarily) but in the "big picture" and long term durability of the architecture...it is much less expensive.

Regards,

j

Last edited by Jay White Cloud; 03/31/15 04:21 PM.