Hi Tim,

Thanks for that, and I agree time actually appears to seldom allow the "better approach" in the current American market of construction...both mainstream "2x" residential or even our beloved timber framing...

I just left "another" of such projects down south in a vintage timber frame conversion that will be facilitated virtually the same as you just described...

There was 1" antique barn board placed on the frame first, then 4'x8' of plywood, then 2" polyiso foam board as a thermal break, then a 2x vertical on 16" center, then 3" of spray foam, and then (thankfully at least) a rain screen system is suppose to be installed (I am no longer on the project) so I am not sure this will take place.

Now there are already logistical issues with mechanicals and electricals, and the questions of achieving proper ventilation. All of course dependant on expensive HVAC systems to make these augmentations of modernity work, as well as, other logistical planning issues and "tearing through" work already done to achieve both the HVAC and the M/E. Again, more common than not, the trend that some alleged "experts" in HVAC engineering and architecture insist on doing even in the face of overwhelming issues to the contrary.

I am afraid too many buy into the notion that time doesn't allow better planning, as in the long run the other issues seem to far out way good planning and design in the beginning. The "breathable" and "disentanglement" issues, seem to present as actually the path of "good practice" we should go down. These methods of "disentanglement" are actually more common in large commercial work (i.e. skyscrapers, hospitals, etc) than they are in residential here in our markets. Even natural and more sustainable building materials are finding their way in. I am hopeful, as more clients and craftspeople ask these questions, that each project will see more and more shifts in that direction. For the projects that do go fully traditional, natural, and/or sustainable, such a "straw clay slip infills," straw bale, pisé infills, mineral wools, etc, the outcomes are proving more than just good practice, but fiscally better in the long term of durability and maintenance.

Regards,

j