Originally Posted By: timberwrestler
...what natural building enclosure would allow for that (with reference to mechanicals)?

It comes down more to a shift in material application and design approach modalities, with more "permeable" materials and not this fixation with building "space ship" (a.k.a. airtight) architecture that doesn't take into consideration all the other environmental-structural events that a building will experience over what we hope would be centuries. Too many builders and manufacturers have a very "short term" views of architecture. I have routinely heard industry leaders in modular (a.k.a. stress skin panel) and modern building state very clearly that there view of modern domestic building has:

"...an economic and viable lifespan of less than 30 to 50 years before major upgrades, interventions and/or augmentation take place..."

This is great for the industry, GC, and Developer (i.e. bank accounts)...It is horrid for the property owner, the architecture and our planet...

Take a rough cut 2x8, stick that in a jig and punch a single plunge mortise (`20mmx50mm) with a standard bit Makita chain mortiser ever 500 mm, then split into a 2x3 and 2x5, gives you a wall truss framing member once spans are added to the desired length, that can now range in thickness from 300 mm up to 1 meter without additional verticals members added. This system of wall truss can more than accommodate a myriad of natural insulative methods as described already from SB to a mineral wool matrix, or others. We can in house manufacture several different forms of wall truss for most projects in less than 2 weeks for the average project in the same pricing window of most (if not all) stress skin systems. These wall trusses also facilitate greater ease in HVAC, H/E, and other augmentation, including future upgrades. These systems do not require (if planned for) the "tear out and through" so many other systems require. This is just but one methods of the "traditional-natural" building movement I have seen or facilitated in the last decade. Just basic web searches into "breathable walls," "natural building" "wall truss systems" (search in German, or in a European Google search can reveal more), cobb, straw bale, etc can really get the "creative juices" flowing in this direction. I for one will not turnkey my own projects anyother way.

Regards,

j