Greetings:
I am unaware of any hand converted (split) white pine shake in my area though they would have been gone long ago. The collective wisdom of the past pine product is: a standing dead tree makes a great shingle, no sap wood will survive roof service, q-sawn splits way too easy, put the heart side of the shingle up or to the weather (when wet the edges will stay tight) , tight growth rings for longevity, don't nail too tight, let it breathe on furring over air space even over plywood, maintain an edge space, triple coverage please, lead or copper at the ridge cap.
Shingles work best if they are considered the wear surface not the water proofing.

We still use pine claps with minimal sap wood, smallish tight knots and good oil, stain, or paint. Local pine claps are resawn from flat sawn and finished 1 x 6 so you have little choice of of weather side out: choose either rough or smooth, not grain orientation. The rough holds a pile of finish (prime both sides) liquids and seems to hold up well enough. For me it is a great local product. Siding over an air space is good if you remember to keep the critters out of that space, roll ridge vent of that "scrubby" looking material is one way I have seen it done. I have seen radial sawn cedar and spruce claps on the maket but the lengths are usually short.
Good luck,
Curtis