No worries Tim...this is a common academic discussion among all us Timberwrights.

It is more a "view on a spectrum" than a "due this or do that," kind'a thing...which I bet we both agree on 100%

Someone with your tooling and skill sets would be working against logic (and maybe common sense) to not take full advantage of the kind of tool and knowledge resources you possess. That is also why I hinted at the "chainsaw" milling aspect (or even hewing) as many project job sites have large trees "on site" that could be fashioned into very long timbers...and...that is part of our craft also.

I really do like keeping as much work "in house" as possible for each of us as Timberwrights. You like me also have experience being our own logger and sawyer...which I wish this was still a more common practice as it was with the House, Barn and Timber wrights of days gone by...

I'm actually more prone to "go big" than just joint...but...I have the skills to hew/mill my way to get what I want...just like you do. Which is better than jointing...I agree... grin