First David, I don't "mash" anything into timber frames...especially historic vernacular restorations, as I suggested above in a very clear foundational ethos. If Brent's goal is a 100% authentic recreation of a Dutch Barn, then I am all for making the effort to replicated and match that known vernacular in every element of means, method, and material. I have absolutely nothing against such efforts at all...

Wherever someone, be it an Architect or Timberwright, (with good counsel from our PE I should hope) cares to place a scarf joint in a frame is by all means their pejorative, and right of creativity; especially if it had...as you say... "nothing to do with restoration."

I am not sure what the comment about "someone with an internet contention and opinion" has to do with this conversation and seemed rather a hurtful intent.. I think everyone commenting here is basing their comments on experiences. I would also suggest we all have valid opinions to share and internet connection...including you. Up to now it has been a friendly discourse of sharing those ideas...At leas I thought it was...??

So...if something isn't a full historic restoration or reproduction, I don't see the reason for suggesting stifling creativity. Contemporary frames can come in any (or the many) styles or flavors the originators care to put in them, and I think many of the contemporary forms are rather stunning. Especially when these forms respectfully and appropriately borrow from other vernacular.

Respectfully, just an alternate view.