Hi Brent,

I knew what you meant by "lower tie mortise." There are just so many freaking terms and many even specific to a certain region or county, that it can be difficult at times to get them all sorted. I have floating around here someplace the "actual" dutch terminology for these peaces and I believe it translates into "central isle post" and "eave posts" for these bent assemblies though "purlin post" and "eave post" have become standard nomenclature I here used today as Dave has suggested. If I can find that document (or someone else has a copy) please do share it.

Hello Dave S.,

I appreciate your validation, and remembered that video...(excellent model by the way)...wish that was still the practice, but CAD has won out for speed and dexterity for most of us...They do still do these for the more prepackages frames everywhere I know timber framing to still be active. Nice to see one like that. Do you have a video of the finished frame?

I apologize if I mistook your meaning and intention. The "teacher" in me is very keen to listen to everyone's views, even if it is only based on a little experience. I have learned as much from my students over the years as I have the experienced folks sharing. The "new to the craft" often have the most insightful questions and perspectives and their mind are fresh to all this stuff.... grin

Regards,

j