I have my biggest project to date coming up soon, a 36’ x 36’ house frame, story-&-half, high-posted Cape, with 2nd floor loft, other half open to roof.
I am not a design/build company, just a small one-man shop the does frame fabrication only, handing off all before (drawing/engineering) and after (GC) duties to others. I have someone that I work with regularly that produces my frame shop-drawings, also engineers and stamps the framework (if needed), but does not do architectural drawings.
I’m trying to provide the client (and myself) with a more structured, orderly system of approach. This project is budget-dictated, all out of pocket, no mortgage involved.

The client has shown me examples of the house design he has in mind, along with a rough floor plan, and I have worked out an initial framing scheme with him, (all subject to refinement of course). I have given him a ballpark estimate on this initial timber frame skeletal framework, and he is fine with that.

What he is concerned with at this early point is whether the total/final cost of the house will fit within his budget parameters.

The uncertainty revolves around the structural timber frame drawings being produced by my guy, and the architectural drawings being produced by an unknown at this time (who may or may not be familiar with timber frame construction), and what the correct sequence should be regarding the clients financial commitment.

Can/should the client’s first financial commitment be to the finalized design and engineering of the structural framework, without him having a complete set of architectural drawings in hand?

And, since architectural drawings will yield the info he needs in order to obtain accurate GC bids on final project cost, permits, etc, how does the client make a financial commitment with an architect without plans for a finalized and engineered timber framework in hand first?

So…what step should come first?

I’m wondering if I’m making this more complicated than need be, by not choosing just one company/individual that can address timber frame design, engineering and architectural detailing in one financial commitment for the client?

I am very open to any and all input.
Thanks.